Thursday, April 1, 2010

Semester 2010

I learn so much when I teach.

Becky and I were finishing a week focusing on “Church in the City” when we worshipped in four different congregations over Palm Sunday weekend. I had planned these field trips, so I thought I wouldn’t be effected. I was wrong.

The four congregations allowed me to worship in new and different ways, and also allowed me to think through why I attend church where I do. Four questions came almost immediately after the weekend.

What is the line between worshipping the Holy God of the Universe and worshipping the God who walks along side us in the journey?

What is the line between being a church that hosts guests well and making sure those who are not guests have a vibrant life in Christ?

What is the line between community minded worship and community minded living?

What is the line between stereotypical behavior and being true to yourself as a congregation despite the stereotypes?

Not only does being a teacher allow me to reflect on experiences that I have with my class, it is also giving me the permission to go on these spiritual field trips. Thanks Becky for helping me learn.

No comments: