Friday, April 30, 2010

A psalm

Becky and I took some time to write a psalm last week in the middle of the city. The following is the one I wrote.

Oh God,

You are more beautiful than Preston Hall
a pillar taller than the old Sears Tower
more awesome than Pritzer Pavilion
and as fun and familiar as Crown Fountain

You can be witnessed in the streams of Humboldt Park
and in the streets of Austin
You are as colorful as the diverseness of Rogers Park
and as full of history as Bronzeville, Bridgeport, and Pullman

You are in the midst of this city, my city. I see you here.

In the people I see you - Michelle, Brenda, Mattie, Nadia, Annie
I see you in the work of many non-profits

I see you in the very being of this city -
you show up on the 82 bus,
where you stand up against injustice and sit with weary

You bring the city together with sports, music and the utter pride of being a part of this city.

You provide the big shoulders on which we can rest and be propelled to get back to work...against violence, racism, and misunderstanding

You sit and play in the neighborhoods and call us to attend to what is good and right.

You are in this city, my city, and more importantly your city.

No comments: